is it painful to get a vaccination?

Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Allergy and Immunology 19 years experience
Yes: (but only a little). Often a child's reaction is a function more of a parent's reaction rather than the actual amount of pain from the shot. Distraction can help rather than overemphasis on the shot that just occurred. Some studies in infants have actually shown that giving a small amount of sugary solution (from a dropper or syringe) just before the shot can diminish the perceived pain.
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
I have been using the "cold distraction method" that works well too: I rub some hand sanitizer on the child's forearm, have him/her and the parent blow on it to get it cold while I give the shot somewhere else. Older kids say it helps, some young infants (4 month old) don't even cry with the shot! (Some, not all):)
Jul 22, 2014
Dr. Boyan Hadjiev
Yes: I completely agree with dr. Tzanetos opinion. I couldn't have said it better myself. The vaccination is so quick, that the child (or adult), doesn't have time to respond. So it really feels like a "little pinch".
No: No, it is only slightly painful to get a shot. Oral vaccinations (baby swallows it) such as the rotavirus vaccine do not cause any pain.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Little pain: It is an injection and you may feel some pain but it is not too bad