My 14 yr old son broke his metacarpal 3.5 weeks ago.it has been casted from day 1 of break. what are the chances he can get his cast off tomorrow?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
It depend on the: Kind of break and were it is located, if the fracture in far end were joint are they could have the cast off to a brace, if it is in the middle of the bone i doubt that.
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Hand Surgery 25 years experience
Good: Depends on the fracture and healing to date, but 3-4 weeks of casting is sufficient for most metacarpal fractures. After cast comes off often will use a splint for protection based on the activities he is doing.
Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
Ask the ortho: This question requires a lot of knowledge of the break, and a determination of how it's healing. I'm assuming you have an appointment tomorrow to assess this very thing. I would never plan on getting it off by scheduling something he needs it for the next day, but if it's healed well, there's a chance.
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery 25 years experience
Depends: Your physician will determine if a cast or brace is needed based on xrays of the fracture and the results of clinical exam (ie: tenderness, swelling, motion). The fracture may not be entirely healed, but using a brace may be a possibility.

Last updated Mar 16, 2017