San Antonio, TX

What to do if i step on a nail?

Dr. Gregory Hines
Be seen: You should be seen, may need antibiotics, and at least need to make sure that your tetanus status is up to date.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Podiatry 41 years experience
Tetanus, infection: Depending on the depth of the puncture wound, the area may need to be debrided and followed for possible involvement of bone infection or osteomyelitis with x-rays and other diagnostic testing. Tetanus immunoglobulin is also recommended and updating of tetanus immunization is also recommended.
Dr. Khurram Khan
Wound care 21 years experience
Tetanus and clean: First you must update your tetanus status. Next the area needs to be cleaned and any foreign material needs to be removed (what did the nail go through? Shoes? Socks?) any foreign material may lead to infection. Lastly the area needs to be protected and the less pressure on it, the better.