I had surgery on my foot 3 weeks ago stitches are off and the skin around the cut is peeling off, i could see the second layer skin is it normal?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry 16 years experience
Talk to your surgeon: It is probably important to know what surgery you had and whether you have followed up per your schedule. Regardless, it warrants a call to your surgeon's office to discuss this matter/concern.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Brynn Ewen
Podiatry 21 years experience
Yes : Yes it is totally normal. Don't pick or peel it though, it will peel off when it is ready.
Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Podiatry 29 years experience
Normal Healing: Peeling is healing ! signs of infection: redness streaking swelling warmth pain loss of funtion drainage symptoms of infection: fever chils nausea vomiting.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 37 years experience
Surgery : It usually is normal and the skin you see is the skin replacing the layer peeling away. If you are concerned , see your surgeon.
Last updated Jan 5, 2019