is it normal for my baby to breastfeed and not have a bowel movement for days?

Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Usually after the first few weeks the pattern of stooling can change from after every feed to every two or three days, sometimes even longer. If the baby is urinating, gaining weight and is comfortable this is not a problem.
Yes: If a baby is eagerly and happily breastfeeding each day, if he has no tummy aches nor bloating, and if his poops are quite soft, then it is ok for him to poop only once every few days. He is digesting all the breastmilk, and using almost all of it to maintain and grow his body (leaving very little solid material to make poop). The water in the milk is absorbed and later urinated out as pee.