What is the best schedule for feeding a newborn?

Dr. Melissa Arca
Specializes in Pediatrics
No schedule: In general, newborns wili feed every 1.5 to 3 hours, however, it's much better to tune into your newborn's hunger cues than to put her on a set schedule. Newborns regulate their own feeding quite well, so watch your baby and not the clock. Here are some hunger signs to look out for: waking, looking alert, lip smacking, sucking sounds, and turning towards breast. Crying is a late hunger signal.
Dr. Scott Katz
On Demand Is Best: Most pediatricians believe in the "demand schedule", which means feeding your newborn when she is hungry. Of course, this also means you do not have to wake her at night for feedings. There are always exceptions, and if your pediatrician feels your baby needs to be fed more frequently for any reason, follow their recommendation.