Australia

how long can a newborn feed up to?

Dr. Holly Maes
You decide: Newborns get the majority of their feeding in the first 5-10 minutes of the feeding, and the rest of the time after that is just sucking/suckling time for pleasure and comfort. If you have time and nipples are not too sore, it's fie to let them do this a couple of times a day. If your nipples are very sore, or you are pressed for time, the 10 minutes is long enough to get the nutrition they need.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Some can empty a : Breast in 10 minutes; others in 15 minutes or more. Let her empty the first breast first. When you no longer hear swallowing, pull her off or let her detach. Newborns' rapid sleep cycles ; crying out during light sleep cause some moms to try to nurse before baby is awake. Put her to sleep on her back, drowsy but awake , in her own crib in her own room to consolidate sleep between 1-4 months.