U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

What medicine can i try for social anxiety if nardil (phenelzine) fails?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Child Psychiatry 45 years experience
Several options: There are a number of worthwhile meds that can facilitate improved social interaction w/ less anxiety. It takes more than meds though- you need a plan, you prob need expert counsel, & most especially u need lots of opportunity to "practice" being social. Do things with a social context- regularly! and, it may require >1med; getting the right med doses & multi-drug regimen is crucial & an expert md.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Social anxiety: Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitors would be the first choice of medication for Social Anxiety - there are a number to chose from. However, if you have social anxiety - don't just rely on a drug. Have you had cognitive behavioral therapy?
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
D/w provider: This is an issue that will need to be addressed with your psychiatrist. The doctors on the internet do not what past responses you have had to medications or your full history. Please d/w with prescribing provider.

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
Can someone tell me how safe is the nardil (phenelzine) medication?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Can you take nardil (phenelzine) if you also take ritalin?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
Can you take nardil (phenelzine) if you are also taking ritalin?
3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
How can I help nardil (phenelzine) withdrawal ?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Feb 1, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.