so for a few days i've had a sore throat and my left side of my throat hurts more than my right. also it hurts to yawn and i cough a lot at night.

33 years experience Pediatrics
Doctor can evaluate: New throat pain can be from a strep throat infection (antibiotics are needed), a cold or mild flu (antibiotics are not used), or from some other cause such as allergies or irritants. Usually, a person sees the doctor if the sore throat is bothersome, recurrent, or doesn't go away in a day or two (mainly to check for strep throat). Throat lozenges and Tylenol (acetaminophen) (for ~2 days) can lessen throat pain.
Answered on Jan 3, 2015