Finland
A 14-year-old female asked about a 14-year-old female:

my sister is almost 15, and her ferritin level is 5.93 ng/ml and her hemoglobin is 11.5 g/dl and everything else is good why is that?

Pathology 44 years experience
A little low: I'm going to assume she has been getting her period for at least several months. She is likely iron deficient for this reason and her physician may advise a modest iron supplement perhaps with a vitamin. This is actually between your sister and her physician and it's likely she has already discussed this.
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
It's good that you care about your sister. More iron in the family diet may be helpful; if she is a vegetarian this may be another part of the explanation. Again, respect her autonomy as you make your own inquiries. Best wishes to you both.
Dec 28, 2014

Last updated Dec 28, 2014