MS

Can you breastfeed your second child even if you hadn't breastfeed the first child?

Dr. Jamie Hutton
YES: Absolutely. Your body will make the milk with the birth of the baby. Get the baby to latch on as soon after birth as possible and try to nurse for every 2-3 hours. Use the lactation consultants at the hospital to help you out with latch, position, and answer your questions. Breastfeeding is always best if you can. It is worth a try.
Yes: Many new mom's find the process overwhelming, especially with number one. When the second one comes along, she usually has more self confidence and less interference from well meaning friends or family.I have many who dropped out or never tried with the 1st, who did well with the 2nd.
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
Sure!: In fact your chances of succeeding with your second child is much higher! Most hospital staff have been trained to help mother breastfeed while you're in the hospital. You can also get a consultation with a lactation specialist if you have issues. Also, I would guess that you're more experienced, less nervous and more confident, all of which can help you succeed in breastfeeding
Last updated May 16, 2015