United Kingdom

Would liver chemistry tests be enough to show liver damage/ jaundice? i have orange urine in the morning, and only goes light after drinking lots

Pathology 45 years experience
Not your liver: Bilirubin in the liver makes it look more brown and often with brownish foam. Concentrated urine is expected to be orangey-yellow; I trust your last visit to your physician didn't show blood in your urine. If you're taking fancy vitamins or some meds, the orange color can be odd. If everything else checks out & chem profile is good, I'd not be concerned.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 40 years experience
Get urinalysis: Blood work for liver function is useful to see if the panel is normal and if not, possible reasons for elevation. Dark urine can be normal, especially if it is concentrated, the pigment is due to the yellow pigmented urobilin. However, the urine can be dark from other reasons, including urinary tract infection, bleeding and from chemicals. A simple test would be a urinalysis.
Last updated Dec 6, 2020