What is asteroid sarcoma?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Ilya Iofin answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

While "asteroid sarcoma" is not described in the medical or astronomy literature, it sounds a lot like osteosarcoma, so I presume that was the question. Osteosarcoma is a rare cancer of bones that usually occurs in teenagers. Treatment is with chemotherapy and surgery. In many cases, it can be cured, especially if it is caught before it spreads. Amputation is required only rarely.

Answered Aug 23, 2019

3.4k views

Dr. David Stockman answered

Specializes in Dermatopathology

Seek out a 2nd opinion. I have not heard of that diagnosis. Sometimes inexperienced pathologists may make that diagnosis. If you have been given a diagnosis of sarcoma, it is imperative that you seek out a 2nd opinion from an expert pathologist in sarcoma. I have been trained in sarcoma from MD Anderson Cancer Center and offer free consults david.stockman@orthopath.com

Answered Aug 23, 2019

2.6k views

Dr. Ilya Iofin answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Answered Aug 23, 2019

3.4k views