What is asteroid sarcoma?

Dr. Ilya Iofin
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
Osteosarcoma?: While "asteroid sarcoma" is not described in the medical or astronomy literature, it sounds a lot like osteosarcoma, so I presume that was the question. Osteosarcoma is a rare cancer of bones that usually occurs in teenagers. Treatment is with chemotherapy and surgery. In many cases, it can be cured, especially if it is caught before it spreads. Amputation is required only rarely.
Dr. David Stockman
Dermatopathology 8 years experience
Immediately: Seek out a 2nd opinion. I have not heard of that diagnosis. Sometimes inexperienced pathologists may make that diagnosis. If you have been given a diagnosis of sarcoma, it is imperative that you seek out a 2nd opinion from an expert pathologist in sarcoma. I have been trained in sarcoma from MD Anderson Cancer Center and offer free consults david.stockman@orthopath.com
Dr. Ilya Iofin
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience