U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old member asked:

How can i get a kid tested for dyslexia?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Patterson
Pediatrics 34 years experience
Talk to doctor: Your child's pediatrician should be able to give you advice on who in your area is able to test for dyslexia and other developmental problems.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Barry Bergman
Pediatrics 43 years experience
Most pediatricians are able to direct you to centers in your community for testing. Pediatricians often diagnose learning differences.
May 27, 2012
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 52 years experience
If a public school: finds a child's reading ability to be below average & academic progress slow, they institute 3-tiered Response To Intervention. Then, if progress is still inadequate, they evaluate for eligibility for Special Education. Insurance companies do not cover private assessment or therapy for dyslexia by Speech/Language Therapists, child (neuro)psychologists or reading programs like LindaMood-Bell.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 34-year-old member asked:
How do you get tests for dyslexia?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
Might dyslexia get worse over time if undiagnosed?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Is it possible to get or develop dyslexia as a teen?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
Can someone develop dyslexia or for it to get worse with age?
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 15, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.