i sprained my ankle in dance class; do i need a brace?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Maybe: An ankle sprain represents damage to the ligaments in the ankle. This is typically due to overstretching the ligament and typically is on the outside of the ankle. Sprains can vary from mild (heal in a couple of weeks) to severe (require surgery.) you should not walk on a sprain until you can do so without pain. In the meantime, use an ACE or aircast and crutches. See a dr if you aren't healing.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
14 years experience Podiatry
Helpful: If you've sprained the ankle in dance and no other injury to ligaments and bones has occurred, a brace is a good idea to control ankle motion and prevent reinjury during the healing phase.
Answered on Jul 1, 2012
Dr. Payam Rafat
22 years experience Podiatry
Have it evaluated.: R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation may help for an acute injury. Oral anti-inflammatory medication may help with the pain and swelling. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the diagnosis and treatment.
Answered on Mar 24, 2014