what are some of the side effects of ropinirole hcl?

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Requip (ropinirole): Nausea, dizziness, orthostatic hypotension, sleep attacks, & rarely compulsive behaviors.

In simple terms that can be understood, what exactly does requip (ropinirole) do to the brain ?

Neurology 52 years experience
Dopamine agonist: Dopamine is a major neurotransmitter in the basal ganglia of the brain, and is classified as an inhibitory chemical. Requip (ropinirole) and similar drugs in the class can act as an artificial Dopamine source and promote function in Dopamine circuits, but it does not actually increase the CNS levels, rather it substitutes.
Eugene, OR

5mgs ropinirole for rls. How long do I have to be off ropinirole to bring down my tolerance level to 1mg or lower ? What would be a good drugtogo to

Dr. Fred Harvey
Geriatrics 37 years experience
Not easy: You have a complex issue that would require further information and direct help. I would discuss in person with the neurologist who prescribed the medication. Additionally I have seen RLS in patients with food sensitivities that resolves when the food is avoided.
Silver Spring, MD

Is it safe to reduce or stop requip (ropinirole) after dbs?

Dr. Christina Lenk
Neurology 28 years experience
Only w supervision: Many people find they can decrease the dose of their medications, and occasionally stop them after dbs. Don't stop Requip (ropinirole) (or any parkinson's med) suddenly as that could cause extreme freezing/stiffness. Talk to your neurologist about trying to slowly taper the dose of the requip (ropinirole).
A male asked:

My gfs mom accidently gave her 2 2mg Ropinirole as mistake for headach meds...what do I do?

Dr. Joseph Sireci
Nothing : Just drink plenty of water and let the meds wear off.
Eugene, OR

5 mgs of ropinirole for 8 years of RLS isn't working anymore. I cut one in half making it 7.5 mgs which works great for now. Is this ok? Please help!

Dr. Dan Fisher
OK: OK for now, but should consult with your doc. You may be suffering from "augmentation" and switch to another medication or adding another med may be useful.