CT

I have been taking the antibiotic septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) and just got put on lamictal today. just woke up with cold sweats and vomiting and my stomach is gurgling.

Dr. James Okamoto
Might be due to med: It may be due to either medication and/or it may be the infection that the doctor is treating you for. Its impossible to know without a full history and without knowing what you are taking Septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) for. Some people do get adverse reactions to Lamictal if they start on too high of a dose. A normal taper is 25mg per day for 2 wks before increasing the dose to 50mg. I would recommend seeing your Dr.
Dr. Carrie Cannon
Lamictal + Septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim): Chances are these are either symptoms of infection or lamictal side effects. If the lamictal isn't for seizures, you could hold the next dose until you can call your doctor's office for help tomorrow. If you feel worse, ER. There is no significant interaction between Lamictal and Septra, (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) just a mild one affecting blood cell production theoretically, at least.
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Infectious Disease 25 years experience
Its the Lamictal: Septra (discontinued in the US) is Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim)..a good antibiotic..but probably not causing cold sweats and vomiting if you've been on them a few days already. This is much more likely related to Lamictal which can have a range of significant side effects like nausea, vomiting, hot flashes, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Call the doctor that placed you on this.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016