had face palsy for 4 months now after surgery trauma. when i make face movement, my ear flutters. is this synkinesis and is it permanent or sep issue?

Dr. David Lee
Dr. David Lee answered
31 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Could be synkinesis: The muscles that move the external ear are controlled by the facial nerve, the same nerve probably affected by your surgery trauma. As the nerve heals, the signals that go to the various branches of the nerve can get "crossed" and activate muscles in the wrong part of the face. This is synkinesis. This is most often a permanent issue.
Answered on Jun 9, 2015
1