U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old female asked:

How likely is someone to develop asthma as an adult?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Philip Schwarzman
Emergency Medicine 45 years experience
It can happen: ..at anytime in your life.most likely due to allergens in the environment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
Yes: Although it was thought at one time that all asthma developed in childhood even by some prominent allergists and pulmonologists, we now know that adults do develop asthma which is however less likely to be allergic than in childhood asthma. The risk for a person in the general population to get adult asthma(no childhood asthma) is probably around 1% in my estimate.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 25-year-old female asked:
How common is adult onset asthma? nonsmoker
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Child asthma vs. Adult asthma or do you get both?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old member asked:
What are the differences between child asthma vs. Adult asthma?
3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old female asked about a male:
If you get croup when you are 2 how likely are you to develop asthma?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 48-year-old female asked:
Why does adults suddenly get Asthma, when they had no history at all before the one set?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 22, 2014

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.