what does " he did have a grade 1 intraventricular hemorrhage."mean?

Severity score: The amount of bleeding & location help classify groups of patients when discussions about eventual outcome are predicted. G1 is a bleed limited to the germinal matrix & extending to no more than 10% of the ventricle, g2=extends 10-40%, g3=extends >50%. Some add g4 which includes more brain hemorrhage.The lower the grade the more likely a good outcome with less frequent complications.
Dr. Rashed Hasan
IVH/PVH: Intraventricular/periventricular hemorrhage (ivh/pvh) is graded from grade i to iv. Grade i, is where is a tiny hemorrhage underneath the lining of the cavity in the brain called lateral ventricle. Most studies have shown that (provided there are no other insults to the brain) and not associated with significant neurological dificits.