Kennesaw, GA

fishy vaginal odor after getting off cycle, can your period cause bv or since i use tampons could my hands had not been clean enough while inserting?

Dr. Stanley Swaby
Period may cause BV: YES, your period may cause BV. The vagina has many bacteria that exist in certain balance numbers and makes the vaginal environment normal. Anything that disturbs this balance (PH) may result a decrease of the dominant hydrogen peroxide producing bacteria and result in overgrowth of others such as Gardnerella Vaginalis causing BV. Blood from your menses may alter the vaginal PH resulting in BV.