Washington, DC

Can you overcome mph tachyphylaxis by switching from ritalin (methylphenidate) to adderall? or to another stimulant medication?

Dr. Lois A Freisleben-Cook
Yes: Based on the pharmacodynamics leading to tachyphylaxis, research into delivery options has found that fine tuning the method of delivery decreases the risk for tachyphylaxis. One formulation that has been consistently superior is Concerta. Some of the generic preparations do not accurately replicate the release dynamics of he brand name so I suggest starting with it. There are also many more optionsask your doctor
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
The Watson brand is the only generic equivalent of branded Concerta. I think the query is about changing stimulants after long-term use of an MPH dose that no longer controls symptoms optimally, not about rapid tachyphylaxis. If so, I'd increase the dose to a maximum 60 mg. MPH/day, 72 mg. Concerta, before switching to an amphetamine, since MPH worked before without significant side effects.
Oct 8, 2014
Last updated Nov 17, 2017