my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mom had breast cancer, and i'm scared i'm going to get it. what are my chances?

Dr. M. Hytham Beck
42 years experience General Surgery
Higher risk: you definitely have a higher risk of developing breast cancer the good news is there is many ways of testing and preventing breast cancer now a days first your doctor can order genetic testing that can predict if you have the gene that could lead you to breast cancer and if that is the case there is many ways of prevention so do not let the fear stop you from seeking the truth good luck
Answered on Oct 31, 2014
1
Dr. Louis Cooper
47 years experience Pediatrics
Try to learn as much as you can from your doctor and from your family. Genetic testing will allow you to look into your medical future, though not all breast cancers are genetically transmitted. Education will allow you to be evaluated early and treated early and help prevent serious illness. I hope you will be healthy.
Oct 5, 2014