United Kingdom

I started the pill on 1st day of what i thought was my period.i had 8 days of light brown discharge, no actual period or blood. is this normal?

Dr. Pamela Svendsen
Yes: It is not unusual to have some irregular bleeding if this is the first time you are using birth control pills and that bleeding can last up to 3 months. If this is not your first time using birth control pills, it is possible to have breakthrough bleeding. You should see your doctor if it continues.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Breakthrough bleed: Sounds like breakthrough bleeding which occurs when you have bleeding at unscheduled times while on the pill. Often things get back to normal the next cycle. If not then schedule a visit to discuss changing brands or changing birth control methods. This is very common. Other than being annoying it is not dangerous.
Last updated Mar 22, 2020