United Kingdom

I started the pill on 1st day of what i thought was my period.i had 8 days of light brown discharge, no actual period or blood. is this normal?

Dr. Pamela Svendsen
Yes: It is not unusual to have some irregular bleeding if this is the first time you are using birth control pills and that bleeding can last up to 3 months. If this is not your first time using birth control pills, it is possible to have breakthrough bleeding. You should see your doctor if it continues.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Breakthrough bleed: Sounds like breakthrough bleeding which occurs when you have bleeding at unscheduled times while on the pill. Often things get back to normal the next cycle. If not then schedule a visit to discuss changing brands or changing birth control methods. This is very common. Other than being annoying it is not dangerous.

Last updated Mar 22, 2020