Williamston, Michigan

just started lyrica (pregabalin) 75mg weaning off neurontin 300mg 4 tabs a day what can i expect if any for side effects in the weaning process?

Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 36 years experience
It depends: In my neurology practice I prefer to use Neurontin as Lyrica (pregabalin) has a therapeutic ceiling due to renal metabolism that limits the maximum dose especially in women. Neurontin (gabapentin) can be titrated to 800 or even 1200 mg three times a day. One can switch to one a day gabapentin (Gralise) which appears to have less sedation.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
No side effects: There is very limited evidence in the medical literature with regards to managing a switch between the two medications. You don't need to taper, just switch over to an equivalent dose: 75mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening. Neurontin 1200 mg = 225 mg Lyrica (pregabalin). You should always consult your physician when making decisions about your health. Good luck.
Dr. Chirag Patel
Specializes in Neurology
Slow taper: Taper the neurontin (gabapentin) slowly, under the guidance of your neurologist. The slower your taper, the less likely you are to experience side effects, which can include tremor, irritability, agitation, anxiety, tachycardia, diaphoresis, confusion, disorientation, catatonia, and status epilepticus. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526_1