A member asked:

I've been taking 600mg of magnesium citrate everyday for the last month. what side effects should i be aware of?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Paul Williams answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Mg citrate: If using it as a laxative - you may be creating a situation where your body becomes dependent on it to have a BM. Otherwise - i might be concerned about the amount of magnesium your body is absorbing. I would talk to your doctor about this - rarely should constipation last this long. Also a serum magnesium level might be appropriate Good luck

Answered 8/26/2018

3.7k views

Thank
Dr. Stephen Southard answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Limited side effects: In fact, in your case with epilepsy, some people believe that magnesium deficiency contributes to seizure frequency - though I wouldn't stop your anti-epileptics! Otherwise there is limited to worry about beyond gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, vomiting and particularly diarrhea!

Answered 10/20/2016

3.7k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more