Dade City, FL

I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy causing sensory loss in feet. is the electrical stimulation treatment effective in treating condition?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Peripheral neuropath: The treatment of peripheral neuropathy relies heavily on the cause of the nerve damage. The pain of the neuropathy usually controlled with medications. Treatment with the electrical stimulation fields has been investigated and analgesic benefits have been reported, but not consistent.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology 35 years experience
No: Which ״condition" do you mean? "Idiopathic" as I'm sure you're aware means the cause is not known. There IS a cause, but identifying it is beyond the current state of the art of neurological diagnosis. The ES treats only symptoms, i.e. pain. It won't make the neuropathy itself any better or slow it down. You'd have to know the cause to do that. The numbness won't get better or stop getting worse.
Last updated May 21, 2016