Can you please name a drug that can prevent nosebleed after cauterization? cauterization was done more than one time but nosebleed starts over time.

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

None: There is no medication that can prevent nosebleeds. Keeping your nasal mucosa hydrated with humidified air can help, and sometimes applying a thin layer of petroleum ointment to the inside of the nose can prevent the mucosa from drying out and bleeding.

Answered 8/29/2017

3.7k views

No aspirin, herbs: Recurring nosebleeds can be a very frustrating. For 2 wk before &1 wk after, avoid anything with aspirin, and NSAID meds like Advil ibuprofen, Aleve naproxen. Avoid herbs/foods that increase bleeding, like garlic, ginger, ginseng, fish oil, dong quai & licorice. I'm not aware of any particular medicines to prevent bleeding. Do follow the post-cautery instructions you were given. Hope that helps.

Answered 9/12/2014

3.7k views

Afrin (oxymetazoline): You can try over the counter Afrin no drip nasal spray. You can use it 2 sprays per nostril twice daily , but not for more than 3 days. You can also follow this by using a nasal saline spray twice daily x 7 days. If the bleeding persists, then you need to see an ENT doctor

Answered 9/12/2014

3.7k views