Green Bay, WI

Can superficial thrombophlebitis in the leg cause noticeable swelling? if it causes swelling, should the vein be removed?

Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatric Emergency Medicine 46 years experience
Swelling: Swelling is one of the symptoms of superficial phlebitis. The area is often very tender to touch, warm and red. It is best to have the acute inflammation treated and then explore your options for definitive treatment.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 48 years experience
SVT: Superficial thrombophlebitis can cause localized swelling usually over the area of the clotted vein. The initial treatments for this are wet heat to the area, saids and compression. If there is associated leg swelling then it would be prudent to have a venous ultrasound to ensure that there is no associated DVT. See a vein specialist for an evaluation.