are ovarian cysts normal?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Depends on factors: A simple cyst is very common and often detected on routine pelvic or ultrasound exam and might disappear by the next exam. The more complex ones need further evaluation so doctors can determine the significance of cysts based their size, structure, timing with regard to period and to menopause, etc. Because not all cysts are normal, i'll share this with specialists in onc for their perspective..
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Very common in women who still have periods. The ovaries' job is to make cysts...that is where the "egg" lives. Small simple cysts are of no concerns. Larger (>5CM), complex, or if you are post menopausal, may be of greater concern. Birth control pills can help suppress ovarian cysts.
Feb 1, 2012
Dr. Michael Swor
Maybe: Every month the ovaries produce a batch of ripening eggs or follicles. The largest of these "follicular cysts" gets about 2cm before ovulation. The one that releases the egg becomes a corpus luteum which is also a "cyst". We don't think a cyst in the ovary is abnormal unless it is bigger than 2.5cm or if there are too many maturing follicles which is poly cystic ovary syndrome.