What over-the-counter treatments can i buy to treat my athletes foot?

Dr. Karen Han
Dermatology 24 years experience
Antifungals: Athletes foot (tines pedis) is a fungal infection most commonly caused by trichophyton rubrum. Most t rubrum respond to terbinafine cream obtainable over the counter. If your rash does not resolve, you should see your doctor for evaluation.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Lamisil (terbinafine) AT: For basic athlete's foot, Lamisil (terbinafine) at is very effective. However, because fungal skin infections can be difficult to completely eradicate, i generally advise my patients to "use it twice as long." use the Lamisil (terbinafine) at daily until free of all symptoms, then count the number of days it has been used, and use it for that many more additional days.
Dr. Theodore Caspe
All OTC can be used: Athlete's foot does not resolve with few applications of medication. You must use the medication 2 times a day for at least 4-6 weeks. You may see some improvement early but continue the treatment for 4-6 weeks. If OTC don't work then ask your doctor for a prescription strength. You must also wear breathable shoes, moisture absorbing socks and keep you feet as dry as possible.
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Specializes in Family Medicine
Antifungal creams: Terbibafine 1% cream (lamisil) is applied twice a day for 1 week. Butenafine (mentax) is also effective, as is Econazole Nitrate (spectazole) moccasin type athletes foot with thickened skin may require oral medicines, such as terbinafine or griseofulvin.
Dr. Jason Campbell
Antifungals: The most common and quite effective otc treatment for tinea pedis (athlete's foot) is Lamisil at or terbinafine topical as a 1% cream applied to the feet twice daily for 1-4 weeks.