How long is an "ebola" virus alive?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Ebola: Viruses are not "alive" in the sense that they can live independently. They require a host cell in which they alter the cell's metabolism to create new virus. This will not live very long outside the body unless on moist specimens from an infected individual and is usually transmitted by direct contact with the secretions of the infected patient. Bats have been implicated in transmission.

Answered 10/29/2017

3.8k views

Not known for sure: Ebola, like all viruses, is not exactly alive. It depends upon entering advanced cells, taking over the productive machinery and reproducing itself. Most viruses have been tested for length of infectivity outside cells as resistance to moisture, drying, heat, cold, etc. I do not believe such data is there for Ebola, but I would guess it is very sensitive as cases seem to be from direct contact

Answered 10/29/2017

3.8k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Not sure: Ebola virus can remain active in dead carcasses (humans & animals) and 2/3 of Guinea cases were spread when family members washed the bodies of dead before traditional burials. It is also being spread by animals that are eating infected human carcasses. Semen can remain infectious in a survivor for up to 3 months. It can also remain infective on objects that have been contaminated by bodily >

Answered 10/29/2017

3.7k views