Australia

I have a hemi retina occlusion in my left eye and i am told that i will have to have injections in my eye. are they safe?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 54 years experience
Usually safe: To prevent the formation of bleeding vessels which could endanger the whole eye, you will receive some injections of a product (called VEGF inhibitor) which can prevent this. Injections of this type are safe, usually work but may require repetition. There is always a tiny degree of risk when the back of the eye is injected this way but these injections are commonly given with safety.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Joseph Crapotta
Specializes in Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
Occlusion: Hi. The injections are safe when done properly, There is always a risk of intraocular eye infection, but it occurs very infrequently. Follow the doctor's advice, but also ask if laser is a viable alternative in your case. Dr. C.
Last updated Sep 29, 2016