A member asked:

Is it normal after 6 yrs of seperation from my husband, 3 kids and 18 yrs of marriage to still hope he'd come back he left me for another, am i insane?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Ahmet Aybar answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Marriage counselor: I believe this question should be discussed with a counselor/psychologist in person to whom you can give further details regarding the circumstances. Good luck.

Answered 4/21/2015

3.8k views

Thank

You're not insane: but in most cases, 6 years gone after he left for someone else says he didn't appreciate you then and still doesn't. Married 18 years w/3 children, it must have been very hard. Questions to consider w/a counselor: Why do I still want him? How did he treat me before he left? Am I letting him determine my self-worth? You deserve to have a life today. Therapy can help.

Answered 8/4/2016

2.9k views

Thank

Normal is a Choice: The situation you describe must be terribly difficult. "Normal" is a relative word. Right now this is "your" normal. I think the real question you are asking is how do I feel better and get my life back on track. At some point you will have to choose whether to keep living your life waiting for something that might never happen. A good therapist or counselor can help you with this. Good Luck!

Answered 10/9/2016

1.7k views

Thank

Not insane, hurting: When asked how much stress various events would cause in people's lives, divorce consistently shows up at the top of the list. An 18 year marriage was likely a central part of your self-definition, and I imagine that loss has been wrenching. Time does heal, and no one can say with certainty what's "normal." Some divorces are harder than others,. A therapist could be quite helpful. Take care.

Answered 10/9/2016

1.1k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more