Augusta, ME

How likely is it to have both lupus and ms? pcp says i have symptoms of both. upcoming apts with neuro and rheumatologist. ana neg with brain lesions.

Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 38 years experience
Not likely: Both are uncommon. Vision problems with Topamax (topiramate) use is common (resulting in change in eye glass prescription) In my practice less than 20 percent of young people with T2 or FLAIR punctate lesions on MRI meet criteria for MS. A few have had what we call clinically isolated syndrome. Best of health to you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 21 years experience
Not likely: It is possible, but not likely, for a person to have both lupus and MS. Sometimes though both of these conditions are considered as a cause of different symptoms. In your case, the ANA test probably means you do not have SLE, but I'm not sure about the other symptoms or tests you have. The MRI may or may not lead to MS as the cause- it's a tough diagnosis to make sometimes. Good luck!
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 38 years experience
Great imitator: lupus is a chronic, inflammatory disease that may often display as MS. Lupus and MS can be diagnosed at the same time, although that is not common than being diagnosed with one disease, and then later, diagnosed with the other.
Neurology 54 years experience
Rare, but can occur: If an ANA profile is negative, and tests as lupus anticoagulant, sed rate, CRP, Lyme, B-12, HIV, VDRL, SS-A, SS-B, and ACE, negative, you might have MS as a possible explanation. I think your doctor is wise to get two knowledgable specialists involved.
Last updated May 22, 2016