U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Deatsville, AL
A 38-year-old female asked:

I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist as having fibromyalgia, my gp thinks it is either lupus or ms. how will they actually make a diagnosis?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
A Verified Doctoranswered
33 years experience
See below: There are no specific tests for fibromyalgia which is a condition in which there is widespread pain above and below the waist and on both sides of the body. Ms and lupus both have certain lab tests as well as other tests that can establish either of those diagnoses.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 20 years experience
No diagnosis yet: MS can be diagnosed with the right history and exam, or if needed, MRI and spinal tap test results. SLE can be diagnosed sometimes with the help of blood tests. FM is not diagnosed by abnormal MRI, spinal tap or blood tests- that is a big difference. Perhaps your doc will do the easy tests first, or get some other specialist physicians involved to think about the case.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 20, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.