do i have to take steroids to get over my eczema flare-up?

Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care 38 years experience
Depends on severity: Eczema is an inflammatory condition of the skin. Steroids suppress inflammation. If topical steroids, such as Hydrocortisone cream, reduce the eruption then oral steroid therapy is not needed. If however the topical agents fail to control the inflammation then sometimes oral steroids will resolve the flare-up.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
See a dermatologist: Sometimes a few doses of prednisone------20mg alternate days for 3or 4 doses------is very useful to get you out of a crisis. Meanwhile you wil need long term basic management. Notice you can get a 16oz jar of triamcinolone cream or ointment for about $30.