Baby boy is a 1month+5days old and he won't look anyone in their eyes. is it true that is a sign of autism or developmental delays ?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Concerning: Visual development in infants is stimulated by contrast, so young infants will often look at the edge of your face or head rather than the eyes, but some brief eye contact, particularly when nursing, is expected. Pediatric ophthalmologists can evaluate your baby for vision loss, otherwise careful monitoring by your pediatrician can help early diagnosis of autism.

Answered 8/16/2014

3.8k views

?never or briefly?: I would be concerned if an infant never looked at least briefly at your face/eyes, but not about autism. New babies often look and look away as if holding onto a steady gaze was too much stimulation to process at one time.If baby never fixes gaze or doesn't follow a light or object briefly to the midline, I would worry about vision. Discus this with your doc.

Answered 8/16/2014

3.8k views

No: Babies all develop at different rates. Eye contact usually occurs in the 1-2 month period, but not always. Developmental milestones are guidelines that we use, but each individual child is different. The only way to tell if development is going normally is to watch how he changes over time. Hope this helps!

Answered 8/16/2014

3.8k views