16 year old cousin has been using cocaine. her mother is taking her to their family doc today to get help for her. how do family docs respond to this?

9 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Keith Leap answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

Rehab referral: Probably by helping her to find some rehab/therapy options; most often starting as an outpatient. Unless she is resistant to treatment, in which case as a minor she could be placed in rehab involuntarily. Hopefully she wants help. Until she does, it will be very difficult to help her.

Answered 6/4/2017

3.8k views

Dr. Tiffanie Noonan answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Like professionals..: A physician is dedicated to providing the best care for our patients. This means caring for the well-being of your cousin without judgment. I suspect that this visit will entail a very frank discussion with your cousin about her frequency of use and determining what is the best treatment plan (inpatient/outpatient) and setting up referrals to treatment plans to start her on the road to recovery.

Answered 3/9/2015

3.8k views