Lakeland, FL

16 year old cousin has been using cocaine. her mother is taking her to their family doc today to get help for her. how do family docs respond to this?

Dr. Keith Leap
Emergency Medicine 28 years experience
Rehab referral: Probably by helping her to find some rehab/therapy options; most often starting as an outpatient. Unless she is resistant to treatment, in which case as a minor she could be placed in rehab involuntarily. Hopefully she wants help. Until she does, it will be very difficult to help her.
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
The combining power of political correctness and commercialism has generated a lot of distractions which negate the effort of rehabilitation.
Nov 29, 2014
Dr. Mitzi Johnson
Integrative Medicine 36 years experience
The relationship the young one has with her Family doctor can also help her understand and accept her risky behavior and what is at stake....maybe. This is one of the added values for primary care.
Dec 18, 2014
Dr. Tiffanie Noonan
Like professionals..: A physician is dedicated to providing the best care for our patients. This means caring for the well-being of your cousin without judgment. I suspect that this visit will entail a very frank discussion with your cousin about her frequency of use and determining what is the best treatment plan (inpatient/outpatient) and setting up referrals to treatment plans to start her on the road to recovery.