A member asked:

I took a penicillin shot yesterday and i think i am having an allergic reaction. bruises,confusion,weakness...help?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Marc Serota answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Seek A Physician: This reaction sounds abnormal for an allergic reaction (wheezing, hives, itching etc.). There are other rare immunologic reactions from medications (serum sickness, Stevens-Johnson syndrome) but these do not perfectly fit these symptoms. If you are having confusion and weakness I think it is important that you seek urgent medical care for further evaluation.

Answered 8/3/2014

3.8k views

Thank

Jarisch-Herxheimer: Based on your age I'll take a chance and assume you might have received the penicillin shot for Syphilis? If so you may be having a reaction known as a "Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction" which occurs from the death of the bacteria causing syphilis. Talk to the doctor who's treating you.

Answered 8/3/2014

3.8k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more