is there anything i can take to attenuate the diuretic effects of caffeine? i drink coffee to take exams but don't want to have to urinate frequently.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
28 years experience Emergency Medicine
Not that I know of: There is no remedy for the diuretic effect of caffeine. Try half caf, but do it in advance of your next exam so you can wean yourself off. You don't want to have the side effects of caffeine withdrawal during an exam.
Answered on Apr 30, 2015
1
Dr. Evans Prieston
44 years experience Pharmacology
Cafffeine Diuretic: One of the properties of caffeine is that it acts on the kidney as a diuretic. I do not know of any way to block the diuretic effect of caffeine other than reducing the dose, which of course will reduce the stimulant effect that you are looking for. The best advice I can offer is to drink the minimum amount of coffee that you need to get through the exam and limit other fluids. Good luck.
Answered on Jan 3, 2015
1
2
Dr. Bennett Werner
44 years experience Cardiology
I agree completely with Dr. Prieston - and also: when you drink coffee, you're ingesting LIQUID. (it has to go somewhere even without a diuretic effect!)
Jul 29, 2014