Stung by a wasp 3 days ago on my eye brow, swelling on both eyes and forehead. taking benadryl (diphenhydramine) should i see a doctor for steroid shot? or wait it out?

Dr. Karen Dantin
Ok: IF not worsening, I would contine what you are doing.
Dr. Evans Prieston
Pharmacology 45 years experience
Wasp Sting: If after 3 days, the swelling has not abated, it sound like you may need a round of a steroid taper or as you indicated, a steroid injection. I would have expected the swelling to be coming down now so I do believe you need to receive a little help from your physician.
Dr. Robert Stachler
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 32 years experience
Bee sting: If you are still swollen. You should see someone. Make sure you are taking the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) correctly: 25 to 50 mg every four to six hours. The 50 will make you a little sleepy. You could also try ice locally to the area 20 m on the hour. You can also try an h2 blocker like Zantac 150g twice a day. Good luck and feel better!
Dr. Joyce Pastore
Allergic reaction: If you have taken the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for 3 days straight and you still have swelling, you may need a stronger antihistamine or a course of steroids. More importantly, get a Rx for an Epipen since it sounds like you have a significant reaction to wasps. You may also consider allergy desensitization.
Dr. Stephen Jarrard
General Surgery 22 years experience
Wait a bit: Keep ice on it frequently and add Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day for couple days. Although usually for reflux, it also blocks histamine and can help remediate this swelling. Steroids are powerful meds and should be used with care. Be well!

Last updated Aug 13, 2019