U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old female asked:

Stubbed toe, (beside big toe) few days ago, bruising, min. swelling but hurts when i move it, esp. right on top of foot, could i have fractured it?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 33 years experience
Maybe : Only way to tell is with an X-ray. If the toe is still straight, the only thing that is usually done is a splint to the adjacent toe. If the symptoms are bad enough, and/or the toe is deformed, best to have an X-ray. See an orthopedist next week to get this done. Otherwise, need to go to an ER. Hope this helps!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 16, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.