U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old male asked:

Blood clots in my leg and lung. so.. with coumadin (warfarin) being given.. what procedures can be done to fix the one in my leg? or lung?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Karen Dantin
Family Medicine 38 years experience
Depends: Your doctor, familiar with your particular case can best advise you
Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 40 years experience
Tincture of time: You have developed a pulmonary embolism from a blood clot that forms in the legs (deep vein thrombosis). This complication is not uncommon in patients who are at prolonged bed rest or immobile. Treatment is with heparin and then coumadin (warfarin) to prevent development of new clots. The existing clots will be reabsorbed by the body, occasionally there are residual problems, but cannot be predicted ahead.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Family Medicine 15 years experience
Anticoagulation: Anticoagulation with the Coumadin (warfarin) for 3-6 months is pretty much your best bet for treatment of those clots. I am guessing you were in the hospital at first and had overlapping injections for several days as well? Sometimes an inferior vena cava filter will be placed when there is some contraindication for anticoagulation, but other than that procedures aren't typically pursued.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 27, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.