Blood clots in my leg and lung. so.. with coumadin (warfarin) being given.. what procedures can be done to fix the one in my leg? or lung?

Dr. Karen Dantin
Depends: Your doctor, familiar with your particular case can best advise you
Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 40 years experience
Tincture of time: You have developed a pulmonary embolism from a blood clot that forms in the legs (deep vein thrombosis). This complication is not uncommon in patients who are at prolonged bed rest or immobile. Treatment is with heparin and then coumadin (warfarin) to prevent development of new clots. The existing clots will be reabsorbed by the body, occasionally there are residual problems, but cannot be predicted ahead.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Anticoagulation: Anticoagulation with the Coumadin (warfarin) for 3-6 months is pretty much your best bet for treatment of those clots. I am guessing you were in the hospital at first and had overlapping injections for several days as well? Sometimes an inferior vena cava filter will be placed when there is some contraindication for anticoagulation, but other than that procedures aren't typically pursued.

Last updated Mar 27, 2018