Jacksonville, FL

i am confused why my doctor started me on propanolol when starting a 30 day event monitor wondering if will give true readings of the pvc's or what ?

Dr. David Houghton
Specializes in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Ask your doctor: You should always ask for clarification when you don't understand the reason for a prescription. Propranolol is a good drug to prevent migraines, so that might be part of the reason. PVCs are generally unimportant, and therefore suppressing them won't reduce the event monitor's ability to capture the important stuff. Perhaps your doctor would like to reduce the background noise of PVCs.
Dr. Melanie Tugaoen
General Practice 31 years experience
Lets review your que: Propranolol is a beta-blocker which does slow down the heart rate but will not change any PVC's you are having.
Dr. David Houghton
Actually propranolol is great for suppressing PVCs. But that's okay since PVCs aren't the reason for an event monitor.
Jul 25, 2014

Last updated Jul 25, 2014