A member asked:

Hi, doctor i need your i'm 38 yrs.old and i'm trying to conceive my period is not normal 18 days period again, before and after period i have brown disc?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jonathan Song answered

Specializes in Gynecology, Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery

You need to be seen.: A normal menses last 4-5 days. Heavy or prolonged bleeding may be due to hormonal, anatomical or medical issues. You should see a gynecologist for a complete work-up. We need to also check whether you may be anemic (low blood count) and a pelvic ultrasound may need to be done depending on your exam. The sooner we can find out what's wrong, the sooner you can become pregnant.

Answered 5/2/2015


Dr. Michael Traub answered

Specializes in Fertility Medicine

Need evaluation: That really requires a good evaluation to know whether the abnormal periods are hormonally related or anatomically related. For instance, whether your thyroid hormone is abnormal, your ovaries are aging more quickly, or whether a polyp or fibroid in the uterus is causing the abnormal bleeding. A fertility specialist can help figure that out.

Answered 5/11/2012



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question