Walled Lake, MI

I broke my left middle finger almost 3 months ago. was told its a stable volar plate injury and will be sore and stiff for 6 months. is this true?

Dr. Joseph De Santi
Finger Fiasco: A volar plate injury to the finger usually involves the bony surface on the palmar side of the hand. Depending upon the severity of the injury and how much of the surface was involved will determine the duration needed to heal. Your estimate seems about right, but it all depends on how well physical therapy goes and your control of inflammation. Some stiffness is likely to persist permanently,
Dr. Melanie Mintzer
Stiff finger: A stable volar plate injury should be healed in less than 6 months in a 35 year old woman. I would ask your physician to repeat the xray and if normal, for a referral to physical therapy to help you mobilize the finger before it gets stuck in its current immobile position

Last updated Jul 22, 2014