Charleston, WV

what kind of mri is needed to diagnose problems with lumbosacral neuritis or si joints?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 33 years experience
Lumbosacral spine: MRI and SI joint MRI, respectively.

My MRI scan showed that I have abulging discin my lower back. Should I see a spine specialist?

Dr. Vikas Patel
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
Depends: Depends on if you have nerve symptoms. If you have only back pain or sciatica type pain but no weakness or numbness or bowel or bladder problems, then you don't have to, but may want to see one to discuss first non-surgical options of treatment and then if they do not work, then possible surgical options.

Are there exercises that I can do to improve my joint flexibility, strength, and fitness, and to relieve my pain?

Dr. Bryan Levey
Yes: Yoga can help improve flexibility, strength and fitness. There are many exercises you can use, but yoga does it gently. With regard to your pain, how you relieve it depends upon what causes it.

Is a lumbar puncture to test for encephalitis safe?

Yes: A person with symptoms of encephalitis (inflammation, swelling in the brain) or meningitis (inflammation, infection of the fluid and membranes covering the brain & spinal cord) has a serious illness that can cause permanent brain damage or death. A lumbar puncture is safe because it is not a risky test, and because the bad effects of the diseases are so much worse than the little risks of an l.P..

I have gonorrhea. Why do my joints ache?

Dr. Stratos Christianakis
Rheumatology 18 years experience
Reactive Arthritis: It is common to have achy joints with having gonorrhea, and is called gonococcal arthritis. Treating the gonorrhea generally helps with the arthritis, although can take some time. If after 6 weeks these joint aches don't go away with treatment, i would recommend you to see a rheumatologist for further evaluation.

Can natural anti-inflammatory compounds relieve joint inflammation caused by Lyme disease?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 48 years experience
Not really.: Lyme disease should be treated with Doxycycline as recommened by the cdc and national academy of medicine, (except in children-amoxicillin, and pregnant females-erythromycin.)you can take an otc NSAID like Aleve (naproxen) for your jont pain, or get an rx from your pcp. Arthritis is a main feature of lyme, and needs more than symptom control. 3-0mega fatty acids can reduce inflammation and improve lipids.

Last updated Sep 29, 2016