MI

pediatrician doesn't seem concerned about son's intermittent abdominal pain. i am. don't think it's constipation. what tests should i be asking for?

Dr. Ira Rubin
Constipation: Constipation is common in kids. If you need assurance, ask the doc to do an abdominal xr to assess the amount of stool in his abdomen. If that shows a large amount of stool then the doc is right. If not, the test for abdominal pains are numerous. I typically have the parent keep a log of the pain and look for a pattern, then test according to the illness I think is most likely.
Dr. Marlene Wust-smith
Start w Abd Xray: How old is your son? Believe it or not, MOST abdominal pain in children is related to constipation and the work up should begin with an abdominal xray (flat plate) to evaluate the amount of stool in the bowels. If normal, I would ask for basic labs and celiac testing in addition. Also think about food allergies/sensitivities and abdominal migraines as a possibility.
Dr. Jalal Zuberi
An abdominal US is another non-invasive test without radiation to look for other causes of chronic abdominal pain. You can try OTC medicine for constipation like Miralax for a few days to see result as you wait to get in touch with the doctors.
Sep 21, 2014

Last updated Jan 31, 2015