Laramie, WY

my oral surg started my iv like it was nothing. but i go get rehydrated after puke fest, it takes 3 rn. 6 poke tot. what's he doin different?

Dr. Frances Ilozue
Dehydration!: Starting an IV is more difficult when the patient is poorly hydrated, such is associated with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Dr. Neil Kudler
Dehydration: As you said, you needed to receive IV fluids because you were dehydrated. Assuming you weren't when you saw the oral surgeon, your veins are surely a lot "plumper" and easier to insert the catheter than when you needed emergency treatment. You were low on total body fluids, including the water component of your blood. That makes it tricky to find those veins.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Dehydration: It probably has more to do with the fact that you were likely much more dehydrated when they were trying to get an IV in you after vomiting so much which makes the veins much smaller and more difficult to penetrate. It's probably more due to that than the skill level of your surgeon vs the nurses.